Registration of foreign citizens in the Interior Ministry should be done within 5 days after arrival in the Republic of Kazakhstan. Citizens of Australia, Austria, Belgium, Britain, Denmark, Greece, Ireland, Iceland, Italy, Japan, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Singapore, USA, Switzerland, Sweden, Finland, France, Germany, Japan and the Republic of Korea may be registered in their passports for visas at consulates of the Republic of Kazakhstan abroad, or when crossing border checkpoints at 12 international airports of Kazakhstan.
After registration at the Interior Ministry abroad or at border checkpoint at 12 international airports of Kazakhstan, no need to apply to Police for registration. If the foreigner does not get registered in the specified border checkpoints at 12 international airports, it is also possible to obtain registration with the migration police of the location. Registration is free of charge.
- Foreign citizens temporarily staying in the Republic of Kazakhstan must carry a passport and show it when requested in the authorized state bodies.
- In case of loosing passport, foreign citizens must immediately inform the body of the Interior, which gives them certificate about it.
- Procedure for registration of passports of foreign citizens in the Republic of Kazakhstan is made by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Kazakhstan and the Ministry of Internal Affairs of the Republic of Kazakhstan in coordination with the National Security Committee of Kazakhstan.
- Registration is issued for a period not exceeding the validity of the national foreign citizen's passport and visa.
- Registration of citizens who arrived to the Republic of Kazakhstan from countries with which the Republic of Kazakhstan has international agreements on visa-free entry and stay, is made for a period not exceeding ninety days, and can be further extended for the same period.
- Registration of foreign citizens in respect of which there is drawn up in accordance with the law permission to hire foreign workers, is made for the period of the exemption.
- Registration of foreign citizens studying in the educational institutions of the Republic of Kazakhstan, is made for one academic year.
- Foreign nationals may be exempt from the registration certificates in accordance with the legislative acts of the Republic of Kazakhstan and international treaties ratified by the Republic of Kazakhstan.